Kaunas University of Technology had its beginning on 16 February 1922, when the University of Lithuania and its technical faculties were established.
The development of Lithuanian scientific ideas continued in the first Lithuanian independent technical school of higher education (in 1950–1990 titled Kaunas Polytechnic Institute (KPI)). It was famous for the ultrasound and vibrotechnics laboratories, and scientific research of textiles.
In 1990 KTU regained its status of the university and took a path of rapid reforms of studies and research. The University continues to pursue sustainable partnership of science, business and industry, develops and implements new ideas, innovations and inventions.